Welcome to…Wawatam Township
Wawatam Township is a civil township of Emmet County in the state of Michigan, and was established in 1923 when it split from Carp Lake Township located to our south. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 661, and has a total area of 20.38 square miles, of which 15.73 square miles is land and 4.65 square miles is water. The Village of Mackinaw City is located mostly within the township, and the township contains a large inland lake, French Farm Lake.
The township is named after Wawatam (little goose), an 18th-century Odawa chief who lived in the northern region of present-day Michigan’s Lower Peninsula in an area along the Lake Michigan shoreline known by the Odawa as Waganawkezee (it is bent).
We are still in the Original Township Hall built in 1929 located at 123 W. Etherington inside the Village of Mackinaw City.